Owning a truck with a hard tonneau cover is not just about the sleek look; it’s about protection and durability. Over time, the elements can take a toll on your cover, leading to fading, cracking, and other forms of wear and tear. Waxing is an often overlooked but crucial step in maintaining the health and appearance of your hard tonneau cover.
Can You Wax a Hard Tonneau Cover?
The Short Answer: Yes!
Absolutely, waxing a hard tonneau cover is not only possible but recommended. A quality wax application can guard against the harsh effects of the environment, contributing to the longevity of your cover.
How to Prepare Your Tonneau Cover for Waxing
Cleaning Before Waxing
The first step is to ensure that your cover is thoroughly clean. Remove any dust, debris, and stains. For tougher stains, a gentle detergent might be necessary. If the surface is uneven or rough, consider light sanding before wax application.
Choosing the Right Wax
Types of Waxes Suitable for Hard Tonneau Covers
Selecting the appropriate wax is crucial. Synthetic waxes, known for their UV protection and long-lasting shine, are a good choice. Polymer sealants are a specific type of synthetic wax that offers enhanced durability and protection against environmental factors.
Applying wax to your hard tonneau cover is straightforward:
- Clean the surface to remove any dust.
- Address any stains and sand the surface for smoothness.
- Apply a thin layer of the selected wax.
- Let the wax dry, then remove any excess with a cloth for a smooth finish.
Wax and Protectant Options
- Carworx Refinish Restorer: Ideal for restoring factory hard tonneau covers and lasts longer than many alternatives.
- 303 Aerospace Protectant: Highly rated on Amazon, it offers excellent protection but may wash off with water.
- Griot’s Garage Liquid Polymer Wax: A high-quality option that provides UV protection and is safe for fiberglass surfaces.
Waxing your hard tonneau cover is an effective way to protect and maintain it. By choosing the right products and following a simple application process, you can ensure that your cover remains in pristine condition, adding both aesthetic and functional value to your truck.